Sunday 13 January 2013

Digital typography for artist article

Originally on my layout pages I have used the plain and simple fonts found as default on illustrator so decided to look up some other fontsby using Da font. The only font that I created myself was on the Henrik Bonnevier on the layouts and that was to try something different. The fonts featured here weren't supposed to be featured using certain artists names as I didn't think the font really matched the artist or their work and so used it on a different artists name. 

For the first font I found it by searching Georgina and this was the only font that came up at first i struggled to find a keyword for luck and so started off by searching her name and thought that this was actually a good font to match her overall. Like her pieces which are sketchy and don't look closely into detail I felt that this presents her quite perfectly as to me it looks rather sketchy.

The second font was found by thinking about his work featuring the converse by Matthew Midgley and so on looking closely found that there was a lot of cross hatching going on so thought that I should look for something with more than a simple few lines to create the letter and thought that scribble would be up something like that. I then found this font that was going over and over the same letter and thought this would work if I was to use Midgley. The font is quite rounded and relaxed which is something that I wanted as well so it didn't look to serious. 

For finding the third font I originally searched notebook as I wanted a font that looked like hand writing, the slanting and the uneven letters just seem to match that of her style creating something that isn't in the right place like the ferret in the image I looked at. However her drawings that she makes for the collages are quite neat and perfect and this quick sketchy font would match that of her technique.

The fourth font was found by searching the word bright and brought up this font called bright young things. I have featured it here because I slightly takes on my idea of the Henrik Bonnevier layout but is not as big and bold, it's rather subtle compared to my on going swirls. I doesn't actually use swirls but I still like the thin ongoing lines coming from the word it looks like parts of the word is trying to travel and I think this would look better than the one that I made because of its subtlety. Henrik Bonnevier would also suit a very bold font seeing as the colours he uses for his work are very bold.  

I found the font for Andrea Bricco by searching the word natural, I wanted to search this word originally because of my comparison between Bricco and Henrik Bonnevier as I thought that it showed her objects, in this case food, in a natural state. This font looks very relaxed yet has some order to it because the words haven't been allowed to overlap a certain point as they are all the same size. The letters are neat and rounded  and look like someone has carefully written them. 
On my sixth font I have used Natsko Seki's name again as she uses drawings and collages in her pieces and so decided to look up the word sticky. I then found the font which looks like a range of sticky notes used to make letters, with this type of font it goes against the idea of something that looks perfect but then again her pieces do include things which are in the wrong place, she mixes things up.

On my seventh font, found when I searched the word sticky and have used three differnt artists I think that if I was really relating the artist to the technique that they use then this would really suit Georgina Luck because of the quality of her lines. Her work is much more sketchy and quick where as Midgley and Seki are quite neat in theirs.

I think that after looking at all these fonts that I have sampled on the internet I should find a way of creating my own font digitally and by hand and then in the end compare my favourite and matching fonts together.  

1 comment:

  1. Some good fonts chosen. Ensure you match each font with each artist carefully, considering the quality of the lines with the materials each artist uses. Henrik Bonnivier would suit a bold font as opposed to Andrea Bricco who's work is much more delicate.

    There's no harm in creating some of these by hand of course! Don't forget the typography project!

    ReplyDelete