Tuesday 14 May 2013

Final Evaluation - typography project


1. Write an explanation of your brief: What did you have to do? How did you come up with the ideas for this project?

 
To start off the project I looked at lots of different ways of creating typography, I also found ways of linking the technique to the phrases that I used. I created typography by using calligrams, watercolours and skin painting to chose but a few so that I could get an idea of what techniques I liked best, this would also help me on the theme that I wanted to choose. I also experimented with ways that I could apply the phrase of my final piece. To make my ideas come together I went through certain stages like the mood board and the t-shirt initial ideas, this also was to help me develop my ideas.   

2. Write about the creative 'journey' of the project: How did you project and ideas evolve from start to finish through experimentation and research?

On my `creative journey' I first looked at ways to apply my phrase and in the end decided on using the heat press. I then created a mind map to get all of my ideas down on paper. Once I had created my initial idea t-shirt design blog I immediately knew the idea I wanted to continue to develop from there my idea of using a rainbow and the weather on my t-shirt as a theme was made clear. 

3. Who inspired your final outcomes? You MUST talk about who has inspired your work, and include images and links of/to them! 

The main inspiration for my final piece was Natsuki Otani. Her watercolour piece just reminded me of the weather because of the watery look it gives. It also allowed me to think about to possible techniques of creating my final piece so could experiment and expand on this. Her pieces were detailed and she experimented with different types of fonts like I decided to do as well.

  

4. What saying or expression did you use? What technique did you use? Was there a link between your materials and the words used? What was it?

The saying that I used on my final piece was "because you can't have a rainbow without any rain" to colour this piece I used the watercolour technique in Photoshop and for the extra illustration I coloured it with watercolours. The technique that I used did link in with the phrase that I used, I felt that the way the watercolour looked linked in with rain because it would look watery still when dry.  

5. What do you think you have done well? What has worked? Are you happy with your final outcome?

I am very happy with the way the final piece turned out, especially the way I was able to refine the phrase so it was clearer I was worried that changing might be difficult to do but it turned out that I could easily edit it. The phrase still isn't as clear as I would have wanted it to be but I feel the fact that the phrase still isn't clear matches the way a rainbow works as you can never fully see it and not many rainbows are seen they are quite rare. 

6. What do you think you could have improved in your final outcome? There will be something - nobody is perfect!

Definitely to improve the piece would have been to spend more time on the colouring of the phrase in photoshop as I could have made the word clearer than it is now. I would have experimented with the opacity and it probably would have come out clearer. If I was able to use more transfer paper I would have done more illustrations of rainbows. 

7. Conclusion: Overall how did you find the project? Would you like to complete more typographic work in the future?

I really liked this as my starting project as I had never done graphics before or even used illustrator or Photoshop. I think typography is something I could use in my final piece for my exam work. 


Going back over the project
As I had the chance to go over the typography project I realised that there wasn't enough experiementation. From the experimentation that I started with I used certain techniques that I felt I could add into the theme of weather and rainbows. I started using calligrams, different ways to apply colour, painting on skin, foiling and stencils. This experimentation looks much better than what i had previously created and looked so much more professional. I even looked at the texture even more when it came to adding the colour and styles. If I had the chance I would like to go back again and make even more development to then try my final outcome again. Most of the experimentation still related to the artists that I previously looked at like Oscar Wilson, Tien-Min Liao and Natsuki Otani. I decided to not carry on with Si Scott as I felt that his work didnt relate to the theme of weather. There was one particular calligram that worked really well, especially with the colours that I got in photoshop also the foiling I used on this calligram had a really good effect and these are the ideas that I would take forward.       

No comments:

Post a Comment