Sunday 23 September 2012

Hand drawn VS Photoshop watercolour



Context
The artist I used for my inspiration was Natsuki Otani because of the technique that she uses and the fact that she looks into typography to. She is an illustrator who aims to make people happy with her work. She has been employed by various magazines and stores to create illustrations for them, yet still continues, for her own satisfaction to create pieces of her own.

Meaning 
To help me with the understanding of her work I used her website and looked at her other pieces. I also had a class discussion on the type of font that is used as we are focusing on typography in class. The collection that this piece comes from doesn't seem to have a theme that runs through it as she doesn't continue with phrases to do with happiness. Looking at the piece separately from her collection the type of font connects with the words used in this piece; even the colours used seem to resemble the idea of happiness as well. 

Aesthetic 
To create this piece the technique that Otani uses is to draw out the letters first and then carefully adds water in between the lines and adds the paint on top as she goes along.

For colour Otani uses pastel colours green, pink and blue.  The fact that green and blue are so close together on the colour wheel makes me wonder why the colours blend so well together. This is because of the use of the pastel pink which harmonises and reduces the contrast between them. She uses very bright colours but because she uses pastel colours they don't seem as bold, her colours are almost subtle yet give this idea of being happy because she uses very positive colours, even though blue is generally related to sadness she uses a rather warm blue so this idea is not generally thought of when looking at this piece and has only slightly used this colour in the corners of some of the letters. 

Lines aren't used in the centre of the piece this allows the paint to run into each other and blend the piece is not restricted inside the shape of the letter which allows the piece to have tone because the colour varies in certain places. 


Personal Response
I chose to look at Natsuki Otani because her work allows me to try two ways of creating a piece like hers, using Photoshop and watercolours like her. Her piece really inspired me to try my own version; she inspired me to experiment with colours that wouldn't necessarily be seen next to each other.  

When I first saw her typography collection I really liked it especially the one I have featured here in my blog. I really like the way she is able to create such a neat and delicate looking piece, I also like the colours that she uses and the way that then blend.   



This is the watercolour effect I made on Photoshop. I followed a tutorial on YouTube

This is done by drawing out the letters first and then adding water in between the lines to then add the paint on top this is so that the colours merge.


In the Photoshop and the watercolour version I have used the same colours so the differences and the similarities stand out. I have used two primary colours, blue and red, and a secondary colour of green. Just like Otani’s piece I have used the blue and the green which as I said are quite close to each other on the colour wheel, I then used a third colour to see if the colour harmonised and reduced the contrast between them. This did seem to work and in certain places the blue and red blended and made purple. It did help that I chose a green and a red colour as they are opposite the colour wheel and so complement each other. The blue tends to calm the brightness of the red and the green as well.

On the Photoshop version the colours are not as bold and have tended to fade, which doesn't give the same effect as the watercolour version, it slightly lets it down and this One of the points that I could improve on my watercolour piece as it does let it down.

On the Photoshop and the watercolour version I used quite a similar bold font. With using Photoshop I am more limited to the type of font however I have a more accurate copy of the type of font each time if I wanted to use it again. Whereas with my hand drawn typography I am free to design it however I want but don’t have the consistency if I wanted to make another version with the same font. I used a website called Dafont and downloaded the font plane crash for the Photoshop version. With this I was able to get a broken glass effect inside the letter and it would stand out even when the colour was applied I wouldn't be able to do this as easily if I created it by hand.

Compared to Otani’s piece her font is more swirly and relaxed where as mine is more bold. My version seems to me more like a command because of the font but hers gives the feeling that you can be happy if you want to. This is again a change that I would make to my piece. A similarity to her watercolour piece and both of my versions is the choice of words. In her piece she used "I'm so happy today" and I used the word "smile" which means the sharing of the same theme.

On the background of the Photoshop version I added a texture on the background to make it look like watercolour paper. I was very limited on the background I could use and think in the end I should have toned the texture down more. Overall I prefer the hand drawn typography as I have the ability to be more free with what I can do.                           

No comments:

Post a Comment