Tuesday 19 March 2013

equisite corpses



These are exquisite corpse collages made out of secondary source material such as magazines. The first one on the left hand side is made by adding drawings on top of the cut outs, the right is made by copying exquisite corpses that were previously made and making them black and white and placing them on coloured paper. The last one was the first corpse that I made and was made using just the mgazine originals. Scale changes on all of them, the more I mess around with scale the better it looks, for example the one with the sandwich as a head is very large but the body is rather small compared to the head. I think my ideas are different as the corpses take the shape of a body but use different objects to create the body. I think this idea meets the brief as corpses are very obscure, you can see the body shape but it is not clear as it has been distorted.

I chose one of my favourite corpses to change the colour to Sepia and black and white using the photo filter in Photoshop. Using this technique will allow me to cut it up and put it on another corpse without it looking exactley the same, the real scale of these corpses is A4. It was not originally inspired by any artist however it does remind me of Geraldo de Barros work from the exhibition as it looks very vintage like an old photograph that he used in his work.








If I was to use the corpses in my final piece I would need a way of creating backgrounds that use them as I wouldn't want to just place a corpse on a plain coloured background. The idea which I have used here was found accidently whilst I was trying to create something else. I think using this technique disguises the body shape even more than before, on the first one you can still tell it takes the shape of the body. These are the steps as to how I created it:
 The first step is to draw around with the lasso tool the area which you want to collage, do not get rid of the lock symbol on the layer.
 Then go to select and inverse
Afterwards click the backspace button on the keyboard and a text box will come up, then click ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment