Thursday 2 May 2013

Pick Me Up exhibition review

1. Recxently I went to the Pick Me Up exhibition at somerset house in London. Lots of different artists were featured there like Malarky, Katie Scott, Tom Edwards and Daniel Scott They all created different types of work like illustration, magazines, typography and 3D. There were also upcoming artists that created mainly posters. Workshops were also available to take part in but I went late in the day so couldn't take part in any of these workshops.
2.
Tom Edwards

Jean Jullian

Hattie Stewart

Malarky

Malika Favre


Featherless Print Posse

    
4. My first favourite artist was Malarky, to me it looked like their work is based on made up creatures or aliens and put into their own environments. What attracted me to this piece was when they collaged it into a place that wasn't the creatures' natural environment. This artist relates to my piece as they have collages the illustrated creature into an unnatural environment for them. This could be a way of adding backgrounds onto my piece as I could put my corpses into an environment that you wouldn't normally see them in.
 
My second favourite artist was Hattie Stewart, on the front of vogue magazines she defaced the original photographs by adding her own quirky designs over the top. This relates to the work I am doing because she defaces images like I do but she works on top, this piece has to be the most inspiring.

One of my least favourite pieces was by Katie Scott, her pieces mainly focus on the anatomy of the human body. Compared to all the other pieces it didn't really stand out to me as it wasn't as quirky or bold as the other pieces in the exhibition.

My second least favourite piece was by Stuart patience, his illustrations were only black and white and didn't seem to capture my attention in anyway as the other pieces in the exhibition were bolder.

Overall I really liked this exhibition, it was different from the other exhibitions as it had a much different atmosphere, it was very lively and full of music. It has inspired me to draw on to of the photographs I have taken.

Hattie Stewart interpretation

I have drawn on photographs that show just a portrait of a person, these use the same idea as my continuous line but I am able to follow what is on the photgraph. When Hattie Stewert doodled on top of vogue magazines she hid their modesty and sometimes shows it. This is how I am going to refine my piece in the exam by adding explicit drawings to the male and female form so it matches my theme of feminism whilst also being covert and obscure as I am revealing what isn't seen under clothes. This piece also seems to relate to Jean Julians' work in the exhibition as she creates images that are quirky, explicit and funny at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment